How To Raise Hand in Zoom
(Updated content & screenshots in April 2022)
This one of the most common questions that hosts and participants have while using Zoom, and we even struggled to answer it ourselves.
First, make sure you have compatible equipment. If you’re using Windows XP or anything else super ancient, this won't be helpful.
For the Zoom desktop client, you’ll need:
Windows version 3.5.24604.0824 or higher
Mac version 3.5.24604.0824 or higher
Linux version 1.1.44485.0317 or higher
For the Zoom mobile app, you’ll need:
iPhone version 3.5.31169.1102 or higher
Android version 3.5.24588.0824 or higher
How To Raise Your Hand in Zoom on Windows | macOS
1. During a meeting, click on the icon labeled "Reactions" in the toolbar on the bottom center of your screen.
2. As a participant, a new window should pop out on your screen after clicking "Reaction". At the bottom of it (bottom right of the screen), you should see the button labeled "Raise Hand." Click that button like your life depends upon it.
3. You’ll know your hand is raised as a participant when you see an emoji hand on the screen next to your name.
You will also see a similar "raised hand" icon in the top right-hand corner of the Zoom screen.
4. Lower your hand by clicking the same "Raise hand" button on the screen as before, which now says "Lower Hand."
Prefer Keyboard shortcuts?
- Windows: You can also use the Alt+Y keyboard shortcut to raise or lower your hand.
- Mac: You can also use the Option+Y keyboard shortcut to raise or lower your hand.
How To Raise Your Hand as a Zoom Participant on iPhone or Android Mobile Device
1. During a meeting on the Zoom iPhone or Android mobile app, click on the three horizontal dots, labeled "More". Located in the toolbar in the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. In the pop-up at the bottom of your screen, tap "Raise Hand."
3. The meeting organizer should now be notified that your hand is raised.
If you click the "Participants" icon in the menu, you will also see your hand raised next to your name & at the bottom of the screen.
3. When you have finished your discussion and are ready to lower your hand, go back to the “More” menu. You will notice that the text at the bottom of the menu screen has now switched to say "Lower Hand". Click it.
How To Raise Hand in Zoom Dial-In Calls
To join a Zoom meeting by dialing in with a phone number, the steps to raise your hand are a bit different.
Once you join the meeting, dial *9 on your phone’s dial pad to raise your hand, and do the same to lower your hand.
That's it! Now you have a new skill to add to your Mac, Windows, or iPhone, Android résumé.
Zoom Meeting Transcription (Automatic)
If you're in meetings where you need to raise your hand to get a word in...there's probably a ton of important info to keep track of after the meeting ends.
Why not capture everything & not worry about taking notes? Pickle helps you stay engaged in the meeting while taking the tedious stuff off your plate.